[Dspace-general] DSpace Bistream

James Rutherford james.rutherford at hp.com
Thu Jul 5 11:03:04 EDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 01:13:38PM +0200, Ina Smith wrote:
> My question relates to the preservation of the bitstream URL: In stead
> of linking from another database (e.g. our library catalogue) to the
> Item URL, we would like to link directly to the Bitstream URL. Is
> there any guarantee that the Bitstream URL will also stay persistent
> if we decide to export our items to another server one day? We also
> use the CNRI Handle System.

The short answer is "no". Bitstreams don't get handles, so if you move
your DSpace having directly referenced a Bitstream URL, that link will
either break, or you will have to maintain it yourself (which is a bad
road to go down). Until this is fixed (and I should point out that not
everyone thinks it's a problem) you shouldn't use Bitstream URLs
anywhere unless you're prepared to deal with it when the time comes.

cheers,

Jim

--
James Rutherford          |  Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office:
Research Engineer         |  Cain Road,

The contents of this message and any attachments to it are confidential and
may be legally privileged. If you have received this message in error, you
should delete it from your system immediately and advise the sender. To any
recipient of this message within HP, unless otherwise stated you should
consider this message and attachments as "HP CONFIDENTIAL".