[Dspace-general] Broad concept question

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Sun Jan 28 17:22:14 EST 2007

Hi Glen,

Here's my take on your question:

Since DSpace is an archive/repository rather than a full-blown cataloging
system, this is a little bit hard to answer. DSpace happens to have its own
metadata store and a UI that lets you search, browse, navigate and display
that metadata, but only as a convenience... you could just as easily
replicate
all the DSpace item metadata in your OPAC and let users find it and link to
the DSpace item from there. MIT is strongly considering doing just that,
or else aggregating all the metadata into some other system so that users
don't have to search for it in separate silos.

It's sounds like the issue you want to resolve is partly "MARC vs qualified
DC" which is a very different question, of course. It's easy enough to map
from one to the other, so the issues are how much labor to put into the
metadata creation, and what functionality you require from the UI.

With add-ons like Manakin and DWell, the DSpace UI can look just as
pretty as you want it to, and support most (but not all) of an OPAC's
functionality. Will DSpace replace OPACs? Very unlikely...
Will something else replace local OPACs soon? That's a good bet.
Should qDC replace MARC? Interesting question... point your catalogers
at the Calhoun report (www.loc.gov/catdir/calhoun-report-final.pdf)
to get that conversation going...

MacKenzie

--