[Dspace-general] [Possible Spam]::Re: Statistics Issues andDSpace

Angelo Miranda amiranda at reitoria.uminho.pt
Wed Feb 28 06:13:47 EST 2007

Hi Bjorn,

We probably need to document better the mechanism on the documentation of
the Statistc add-on. We will try to do that.
Meanwhile, here is a brief description of the mechanism. I hope my terrible
english doesnt turn this very confusing.

The mechanism for excluding crawlers is based on the Apache access web logs
and the principle of well behaved web-crawling robots (they firstly get
robots.txt). We started by implementing the mechanism as full automatic
based on this principles and excluding all IP's that access robots.txt.
Later we realize that this full automatic mechanism wasnt very effective,
because of mainly 2 reasons. Large crawlers like Google downloads robots.txt
from one machine and then the crawling process is made from hundreds of
machines. This machines dont need to access robots.txt. On the other hand,
if the mechanism was full automatic, because of some individual experiments,
accessing robots.txt, we may be excluding user or proxy IP's.
Due to this reasons we had to implement a 2 step, semi-automatic mechanism.

The stats-detect-spiders script detects downloads on robots.txt file and
populate a temporary table with the ip/agent of the machine that made the
Access. Each record of this must be analyzed by a person who makes de
decision of inserting it as a spider. This can be made with the
stats_spider_add(ip,agent). Note that this procedure will store the agent
also. So, after that all accesses made by agents registered as spiders (even
if they dont access robots.txt) will be considered crawling. For instance,
the google example i mentioned: The Googlebot machine getting robots.txt is
identified, inserted as spider (ip+agent) by a person, all other machines
from googlebot share the same agent name, so they all will be considered
crawling.

In the first weeks of production of the statistics addon the manual step
might be a little time consuming, but after a initial period when all the
big crawlers are identified you can schedule the stats_detect_spider once a
week for instance and analyse the temporary table in 15 minutes or less.

For people who is starting to run statistics add-on we may even share our
stats_agents and ip's information that we already identified, so they didnt
need to have that initial work. At this moment, we have abot 180 agents
identified as crwalers corresponding to about 5000 machines (ip's).

I hope i could help.
If you have any question or doubt dont hesitate to contact us.

Thank you
Angelo Miranda