[Dspace-general] Question for the Librarians

Ingrid Mason Ingrid.Mason at vuw.ac.nz
Tue Feb 27 17:16:24 EST 2007

Hi Shawna,

Mandatory deposit hasn't been implemented here in New Zealand by any
tertiary institution with a repository (as far as I know).

Experience of my colleague Grant Barrie at Canterbury University and
mine here at Victoria University of Wellington is that the appeal to
academics seems to lie more heavily with their ability to disseminate to
a wider audience.  Which is a simple, but HUGE benefit, especially when
research ('grey literature') that hasn't reached a wide audience, is now
accessible to them.  I think putting the issues of open access and
mandatory deposit in the background is very wise (having read some
other's responses).

Interestingly, an exercise up at Auckland University, undertaken by
Leonie Hayes and her team, with seeking permission from students for
electronic copies of theses has been very positive.  Tertiary
institutions that offer Masters and PhD courses are all in the process
of examining their statutes and regulations to get students to deposit
on a mandatory basis.  I think as that practice grows it will help move
things along (from a campus perspective).

So, I suspect there may be issues of attitudes to change, and comfort or
ease with operating professionally online, thus culture change here.
Whether or not a 'top down' [mandatory], 'creeping ivy' [patchwork
mandate], or 'let's see' [voluntary] approach is taken, it is still
going to take time and I think that's worth remembering when you have
the sort of tension you've witnessed surface.

Thanks for raising this issue, this has been valuable thread.

Ingrid