[Dspace-general] Question for the Librarians

Christophe Dupriez christophe.dupriez at destin.be
Thu Feb 22 21:39:48 EST 2007

Hi Shawna,

All universities in Belgium (except Mons) just signed the "Berlin
declaration" about Open Access:
http://www.driver-repository.be/content1.aspx?PageId=162

Universities' Rectors considered the unconstrained growth of scientific
journals subscriptions costs and decided it is unsustainable:
http://www.driver-repository.be/media/docs/OAI.pdf

Background documents:
http://ec.europa.eu/research/science-society/pdf/scientific-publication-study_en.pdf
http://www.ec-petition.eu/

IMHO, journals are/will become "brand names" over a peer review process.
A lot of work remains to be done to make Open Access Repositories as
famous than recognized journals.
"Peace" will probably arise from a redefinition of the roles of each
participants (and the return to normal of subscription costs increases).

Hoping this helps,

Christophe Dupriez