[Dspace-general] Question for the Librarians

Sarah L. Shreeves sshreeve at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 22 16:18:56 EST 2007

Shawna -

I'll say that I'm also not necessarily bringing up open access
publishing, but I do talk about greater dissemination and higher
impact. I think 'open access' sometimes creates a backlash.

I'm also heavily concentrating on collecting tech reports, working
paper and occasional paper series, etc. So I talk about publications
but in the same breath as some of these other categories, so it
diffuses the 'open access' debate a little. I have to say that while
I've found faculty who want to provide open access to their
materials, getting them to provide copies of their final manuscripts
is hard, hard work. We have a blog on scholarly communication issues
(http://www.library.uiuc.edu/blog/scholcomm/) and a scholarly
communication librarian to whom I can refer people to get more
information about open access.

It helps to come with statistics and numbers about the impact of open
access - that mitigates some of the backlash.

Sarah