[Dspace-general] How to swap a file when item already submitted to Dspace

Tim Donohue tdonohue at uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 16 12:17:27 EST 2007

Satu,

Probably the easiest way to swap a file (although it's admittedly *not*
that easy, yet) is to login as your local DSpace Administrator, and
click on the "Edit" button when you are viewing the item in DSpace.

That button will bring you to a page to edit any information about the
item.  Unfortunately, this page is currently not very pretty, and only a
librarian familiar with Dublin Core would have a chance at understanding
it. :)

In any case, if you scroll down to the "Bitstreams" section at the very
bottom, you will see the ability to "Remove" existing bitstreams/files
and "Add" new bitstreams/files.  Please note that this doesn't update
the qualified dublin core "format.extent" and "format.mimetype" fields
automatically.  So, you may wish to manually update those as well.

In the future, you may also want to join the "dspace-tech" mailing list
(I've copied it to this message), since oftentimes that can be a better
place to post any specific questions about using DSpace software (or
issues encountered).  However, since there are a lot of questions asked
there (both technical and non-technical) it sometimes does get a little
busy at times.

Good luck!

- Tim

Tim Donohue
Research Programmer, Illinois Digital Environment for
Access to Learning and Scholarship (IDEALS)
135 Grainger Engineering Library

email: tdonohue at uiuc.edu
web:   http://ideals.uiuc.edu
phone: (217) 333-4648