[Dspace-general] Question about department name changes and community structure

mbanach@library.umass.edu mbanach at library.umass.edu
Tue Feb 13 08:30:19 EST 2007

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the community structure in DSpace.  If you structure it
based on University departments, what do you do when a department name changes
or departments combine?  For example, we already have a community set up in our
IR for Excercise Science, but the department is now calling themselves the
Department of Kinesiology.  Also, the Plant Soil and Insect Science departments
recently combined to form one department.  So, I'm wondering do we keep putting
in content under the old community or do we create a new one?  What do all of
you do when this happens?

Thanks in advance for your help with this!

Meghan Banach
Metadata Catalog Librarian
W.E.B. Du Bois Library
University of Massachusetts