[Dspace-general] Harvesting OAI dark archive collections

Clive Gould clive at ce.bromley.ac.uk
Mon Aug 6 16:23:47 EDT 2007

Hi Leonie

I was asking myself the same question this afternoon and came across the
following in the DSpace 1.3.2 documentation.

Best wishes

Clive

"Access control
OAI provides no authentication/authorisation details, although these could
be implemented using standard HTTP methods. It is assumed that all access
will be anonymous for the time being.

A question is, "is all metadata public?" Presently the answer to this is
yes; all metadata is exposed via OAI-PMH, even if the item has restricted
access policies. The reasoning behind this is that people who do actually
have permission to read a restricted item should still be able to use
OAI-based services to discover the content.

If in the future, this 'expose all metadata' approach proves
unsatisfactory for any reason, it should be possible to expose only
publicly readable metadata. The authorisation system has separate
permissions for READing and item and READing the content (bitstreams)
within it. This means the system can differentiate between an item with
public metadata and hidden content, and an item with hidden metadata as
well as hidden content. In this case the OAI data repository should only
expose items those with anonymous READ access, so it can hide the
existence of records to the outside world completely. In this scenario,
one should be wary of protected items that are made public after a time.
When this happens, the items are "new" from the OAI-PMH perspective."

Message: 1