[Dspace-general] How enable full-text searching.(Newbie)

Stuart Lewis [sdl] sdl at aber.ac.uk
Wed Apr 25 04:49:30 EDT 2007

Hi Anny,

> Does it mean i have to run bin/filter-media manually every time when I add a
> pdf  file?

People tend to run this periodically, for example once a night. This can be
enabled via a cron job or scheduled task (unix or windows). See:

http://www.dspace.org/technology/system-docs/install.html#advancedinstall

> Is it possible by altering the Media Filter plugins (through PluginManager) in
> the dspace.cfg file?

Those settings are used to enable or disable different filters. For example,
you might decide that you want to enable full text searching of PDF files,
but not MS Word documents, in which case you can edit the settings. Or, you
might decide to write a filter to extract text from a different file format,
and you can add that there.

Thanks,

Stuart

P.S. - I have copied this to the dspace-tech (
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dspace-tech) email list as it
is probably better suited there

Datblygydd Cymwysiadau'r We            Web Applications Developer
Gwasanaethau Gwybodaeth                      Information Services
Prifysgol Cymru Aberystwyth       University of Wales Aberystwyth

            E-bost / E-mail: Stuart.Lewis at aber.ac.uk
                 Ffon / Tel: (01970) 622860