[Dspace-general] Adding items without bitstreams

Shawna Sadler ssadler at ucalgary.ca
Mon Apr 23 13:08:44 EDT 2007

Hi MacKenzie,
I like your idea about flagging records with or without attached files.

We have given up on faculty uploading their own items, everyone has
admitted that this process simply won't happen. So it has fallen on the
Library to populate our local repository and the most efficient workflow
has been importing files into DSpace and then Library support staff
adding the fulltext files to the records after they have been digitized.
This is less time consuming and really, who wants to do data entry.

This process has been very efficient for us, but I have to admit, the
harvesters and search engines have not consistently found the fulltext
files after they have been added. I think your idea of flagging records
would facilitate the find-ability of the newly added files.

It would also help if importing records into DSpace was less work, I'm
hoping the Summer Google student working on importing/exporting files
from Bibliographic software will facilitate this process.

Anyone agree or disagree with me?
Shawna

--
Shawna Sadler