[Dspace-general] Custom Submission Screens

courtois@ksu.edu courtois at ksu.edu
Tue Sep 19 17:13:28 EDT 2006

Has anyone created submission screens with separate input boxes for
individual components of a citation, such as article title, journal
title, volume number, pages, etc.?

On the default submission screens, there is a single input box for
"Citation," but users could forget to enter an element of the citation
or use a non-standard format.  It seems we could gather more consistent
citation information by prompting the submitter for each element of the
citation, similar to the interface for entering a citation in RefWorks
and other personal bibliographic management software.  Similarly,
metadata could be structured to display each citation element
individually, as in a Medline record. For instance:

VI : 66             (volume number)
IP:  2              (issue number)
DP:  2005 Aug       (date)
PG:  419-23         (pages)
JT:  Urology        (journal title)
etc.

At Kansas State Univ., we've used DSpace only for ETDs, and have custom
screens that do well for this purpose.  We want to start expanding the
"institutional repository" role of DSpace, however, and want to provide
screens that will accomodate other types of materials and prompt the
submitter for each element of the citation.

Thanks for your thoughts on this,

Marty

Martin Courtois
Information Technology Assistance Center
509 Hale Library
Kansas State University
Manhattan KS 66502
Phone: 785 532-4428