[Dspace-general] How do I prevent anonymous access toa collection?

Rutherford, James james.rutherford at hp.com
Wed Nov 22 04:30:27 EST 2006

Hello all

I would actually like to make a case for being able to make arbitrary
communities / collections invisible from non-administrative users. I'm
currently doing some work on content harvesting across DSpace instances,
and the default policy I have adopted is to define a "root" community
into which harvested content is deposited, and beneath that are
communities corresponding to the remote content repositories, and
collections corresponding to the date the harvest was performed. This
structure provides a sensible, implementation-agnostic method of
ingesting items, though to the user it is utterly meaningless. What I
would like to do is to make the "root" community invisible to users, and
have the items beneath it mapped into more meaningful points in the
hierarchy.

It is important to remember that it isn't our place to judge the
possible motivation for a particular feature, rather we should decide
whether it could be useful and whether the technological barrier is too
high. In this case, I can see a clear case for wanting to hide arbitrary
containers in the DSpace information hierarchy, and I don't think we
should ignore that. It might mean defining a new policy (ACCESS, as
opposed to READ), but it shouldn't be complicated to implement.

Jim