[Dspace-general] Supported Formats, PDF

Scott Yeadon scott.yeadon at anu.edu.au
Tue May 9 19:03:09 EDT 2006

Hi Jeremy,

>Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 15:41:25 -0700
>From: "Shellhase, Jeremy" <jcs at lib-mail.humboldt.edu>
>Subject: [Dspace-general] Supported Formats, PDF
>To: Dspace-general at mit.edu
>
>Hello All,
>
>I had a few quick questions for anyone running a Dspace repository.
>1) Have you decided to declare Adobe PDF a "supported" format?

Yes, but all that means in our current policy is that the repository
managers will undertake (in consultation with collection owners)
migration of bitstreams of this format to a new format should it become
obsolete or there is a risk it may become obsolete.

>1.a.) If you have, has anyone undertaken any "functional preservation" on
>this or actually any other format?

No. We are developing ways of assisting authors/content generators to
create their materials in such a way that popular and archive-quality
formats are used (for example, use of template sets so that documents
can be archived in XML rather than a native/proprietary word processing
package, acceptable formats for images, etc). This work is only in its
infancy here at the moment. We haven't really looked at funtional
preservation/emulation in any detail, to what extent functional
preservation can be supported long-term is something that could be
debated and discussed ad infinitum...a neat example has been developed
by the National Library of Australia which converts databases to XML and
attempts to emulate some basic functionality. This though requires
negotiation with the db owner and requires some work per database. See
http://www.nla.gov.au/xinq/ for more details.