[Dspace-general] Moving on

Tansley, Robert robert.tansley at hp.com
Fri May 5 07:04:51 EDT 2006

Dear all,

Well, today is my last day working at HP on DSpace, the last remaining
member of the original team that started it all in 2000.  It's been a
fun five and a half years, and I think it's fair to say that DSpace is a
success.

However I did find myself in a rather unusual position, perceived as the
DSpace chief architect, but with no one I could direct.  This meant that
some people perhaps felt it wasn't appropriate or they needed permission
to come up with substantial ideas and proposals to move DSpace forward.

So, painful though it is, there is a time for the parent to let the
offspring free.  The test of a good open source project (and of course a
key intention of DSpace) has always been that it outlasts its
originators.  Now the community has a fresh sheet of paper to decide how
best to move forward.  There are so many good people working on DSpace
now that I feel it is positioned for great things.

Although I'm not sure if and how I'll be involved in DSpace with my new
employer Google, I'll definitely be cheering from the sidelines.  DSpace
has already achieved so much and has fantastic potential to do more.

Thanks all, and stay in touch.

Rob