[Dspace-general] Simple use case of DSpace -- can this work?

Don Gourley gourley at wrlc.org
Wed May 3 10:20:54 EDT 2006

Sergio,

I don't quite understand what kind of item you want to import into
DSpace...and if it is just one big item I'm not sure what value
DSpace would offer to managing it.  But in general for importing
items you would use the ItemImport program:

http://www.dspace.org/technology/system-docs/application.html#itemimporter

This program reads the DSpace "simple archive format" which is a
directory structure with folders for each item which contain a
very simple XML encoding of Dublin Core, the content files and
a file listing the content files.  I have written Perl scripts
to create this directory structure and it is pretty easy.

I think the content files can be structured in sub-folders but
I've never tried that and don't know how (or if) that structure
would be translated into DSpace's item structure.  The way I've
dealt with structural relationships between files in an item is
by including another file in each item which includes structural
metadata.  Another option in your case might be to use DSpace's
community/sub-community/collection/item hierarchy to map your
directories and files to multiple items instead of a single one.

In 1.4 you have another option which is to create a packager
plugin to ingest your item into DSpace.  However, the plugin
must be written in Java...I don't think there is any easy way
to use a scripting language.

-Don