[Dspace-general] Consistency - slight authority control?

Suzanne Pilsk PilskS at si.edu
Mon Mar 20 11:20:44 EST 2006

I am interested in finding out how DSpace sites are working on consistency
of entry for things like names and keywords/subjects. Without a full blown
authority control module, we are trying to figure out a way to have
depositors record names consistently. Has anyone figured out a way or
workflow that would help?

Currently the standard input form accepts the last name in one box and
first name and any other parts in another box. This will make sure we have
the forms of the name in the right order. Our next goal would be to avoid
this:
Doe, J.A.
Doe, Jane A.
Doe, J Ann
Doe, Jane Ann

- especially when Jane Ann Doe is the person submitting the material to
DSpace!

We might play with some drop down pick lists for keywords or subject terms
for some narrow communities / collections we are establishing; but, of
course, this will not scale well.

Suggestions? Advice? Comments?

Thanks in advance,

Suzanne

Suzanne C. Pilsk
PilskS at si.edu
Direct number:
202-633-1646

Cataloging Services
Smithsonian Institution Libraries
PO Box 37012
Natural History Building, Room 30- MRC 0154
Washington, DC 20013-7012
Unit number:
202-633-1668