[Dspace-general] Reminder: DSpace Testathon, March 21 + 22

Tansley, Robert robert.tansley at hp.com
Fri Mar 17 11:16:39 EST 2006

Dear all

Announcing the first 2-day DSpace Testathon!

This is a two-day, all-time zone event where the DSpace community can
come together (virtually) to collectively give the latest DSpace release
a thorough workout.  Please join in and help make DSpace a robust and
stable system, and get a mention in the DSpace credits!  You don't need
to be technically-minded!

Time:   Tuesday March 21 and Wednesday March 22
Place:  IRC
    Server:  chat.freenode.net   port 6667 (the default)
    Channel: #dspace

You don't need to spend all of the two days to get involved -- even if
you just have one hour, please get involved to help us make the next
release of DSpace as stable and robust as possible.  We will try and
ensure there is a DSpace committer on that channel at all times (in all
time zones) to answer questions and to collect bug reports.

If you don't know what IRC (Internet Relay Chat, a bit like Instant
Messaging) is or how to use it, see:
http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/new2irc.html

We need:

- Non-technical people (we'll provide a DSpace for you to try out the
UI)

- Technical people
  + To try out more technical features like OAI-PMH
  + With a server, to try out a fresh install
  + With an existing (test!) DSpace 1.3.x installation, to try out an
upgrade
  + With access to an Oracle database, an LDAP server for
authentication, or an SRB server for storage

We'll be testing DSpace version 1.4 alpha 1, which will appear on the
SourceForge page later today:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dspace/

For the non-techies and those who don't have a server to hand, there
will be a test DSpace server here:

http://tspacetest.library.utoronto.ca:14080/

There is a Wiki page for test areas, feedback and coordinating efforts
(so we don't all test the same things and leave other areas untested):

http://wiki.dspace.org/TestathonPage

We look forward to working with you to make the next version of DSpace
the most stable yet!

The DSpace Committers

 Robert TANSLEY / HP Labs / MIT Visiting Researcher
 http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Robert_Tansley/