[Dspace-general] How does DSpace support richful metadata such as the record in CiteSeer?

xiaoyan Yu xiaoyany at vt.edu
Mon Mar 6 11:03:16 EST 2006

We are currently uploading data from the CiteSeer collection to DSpace, and
face the problem of how
to map richful metadata to something that DSpace can manage well. Further, we
plan to make the data
accessible through NSDL, but it is not clear precisely how to use Dublin Core
with
qualifiers (e.g., how to apply the ideas of DC-Ed) in a way suitable for NSDL
(www.nsdl.org).

We suspect that DSpace can only use strings, not RDF, for entries in the
metadata?

One particular concern is how to map rich information into DSpace records.
Normally
we would use DC:creator, but how would we code:
<oai_citeseer:author name="Gabriele Scheler">
   <address>80290 Munchen , Germany</address>
   <affiliation>Institut fur Informatik; Technische Universitat
Munchen</affiliation>
</oai_citeseer:author>

Please advise.

Thanks,