[Dspace-general] Dspace-general Digest, Vol 35, Issue 5

James Tuttle jim_tuttle at ncsu.edu
Wed Jun 7 13:48:08 EDT 2006

> Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 10:57:27 -0400
> From: "McCormick, Kathy" <mccormick at poststreetarchives.org>
> Subject: [Dspace-general] Converting CD and DVD to digital formats
> To: "'dspace-general at mit.edu'" <dspace-general at mit.edu>
>
> We have recently installed DSpace live at our small archives.  To date we
> have only set up a photo collection   using .jpg and .tiff files but will
> also need to add CDs and DVDs. What tools are being used to convert CDs and
> DVDs to digital formats?   We want to stay with the formats that have a
> support level of  'known' in DSpace.  There seems to be many tools
> available.  I'm not sure what I should be looking for in choosing one over
> another.  Any suggestions on tools or characteristics that I should be
> looking for?
>
> Thanks,
> Kathy McCormick
> Digital Archive Coordinator
> Post Street Archives

Hi Kathy,

I prefer transcode in scripts and dvd::rip when I want a graphic
interface.  My personal bias when considering tools is to first look at
free software and then to consider proprietary tools if I must.  I'm
assuming, though, that you want to encode the files in a playable
format.  If you want the video to be available and viewable by users
through standard media software you'll want to rip the video into a
lossless (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC) or lossy (Sorenson, Ogg Theora, MPEG)
format.  If, however, you want to archive the DVDs and CDs as-is, you'll
probably want to create an ISO  disk image.  For that I'd use the linux
dd command or the utilities from cdrtools.

You didn't specify on what platform you're planning to rip so if you're
planning on not using linux this probably won't have been much help.

transcode: http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/transcode
dvd::rip: http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/
cdrtools: http://freshmeat.net/projects/cdrecord/
dd: http://public.research.att.com/~gsf/man/man1/dd.html

Jim

--

Jim Tuttle
Geospatial Data Librarian
North Carolina State University Libraries

PGP key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x69B69B08