[Dspace-general] Next N.A. User Group Meeting?

Tyler Walters tyler.walters at library.gatech.edu
Tue Jun 6 08:38:00 EDT 2006

Hi Shawna,

Yes, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, with Georgia Tech as the coordinator
can consider either hosting a North American-based DSpace User
Group meeting in late 2007 / early 2008 or the 2009 Open
Repositories (OR) international conference. MacKenzie, myself, and
others (perhaps yourself as well) see the benefit to having an
N.A.-based user group meeting every other year, when the OR
conference is not held in N.A.

I would be interested in receiving e-mail feedback from list
members' regarding your interest in coming to Atlanta, Georgia for
one of the two conferences I mentioned above. An expression of
which conference is preferred would be helpful as well as we
investigate and plan things from our end here in Atlanta at
Georgia Tech.

Regards,

Tyler

--
Tyler O. Walters
Associate Director, Technology & Resource Services

404-385-4489 voice
404-894-6084 fax
tyler.walters at library.gatech.edu
http://www.library.gatech.edu/research_help/librarians/walters.html

"There are two ways of being creative. One can sing and dance. Or
one can create an environment in which singers and dancers
flourish."  --Warren G. Bennis

On Mon, June 5, 2006 6:00 pm, MacKenzie Smith wrote:
> Hi Shawna,
>
>>Are there any plans to hold a North American DSpace user group
>> meeting
>>in the near future?
>
> Yes, there's a plan afoot to hold a DSpace user group meeting as
> part of the
> Open Repository 2007 meeting in San Antonio, Texas next January.
> See
> http://openrepositories.org/
>
> The Open Repository conference concept was pioneered by the
> University of
> Sydney and the Australian National University last winter, and it
> went very
> well...  the idea is to have user group meetings for major open
> source
> repository
> platforms (currently DSpace, Fedora, and EPrints) followed by a
> general
> meeting on platform-independent topics. The focus is mainly on the
> technology
> however, as opposed to policy/marketing kinds of presentations.
> Open
> Repository 2008 (OR2008) is already scheduled to be held at the
> University
> of Southampton, UK -- the idea is to alternate between North
> America and
> Europe every other year.
>
> If you look at the draft program you'll see that we have one and a
> half days
> set aside for a DSpace user group meeting at the beginning of the
> conference,
> followed by 2 days for the general conference. We see if that's
> enough time
> for everything!
>
> I've also heard from the folks at Georgia Tech in Atlanta,
> Georgia, that they
> might be interested in hosting a user group meeting in 2008, or
> possibly
> OR2009, so it is my sincere hope that we can have at least one
> DSpace
> user group meeting in North America each year starting in 2007.
> There will
> undoubtedly be user group meetings in other parts of the world as
> well, but
> I realize that there hasn't been one in North American since 2003
> so we're
> next on the list.
>
> MacKenzie
>

> MacKenzie Smith
> Associate Director for Technology
> MIT Libraries
> Building E25-131d
> 77 Massachusetts Avenue
> Cambridge, MA  02139
> (617)253-8184
> kenzie at mit.edu

        This email was composed using the GTEL Webmail client.

to  which  it  is  addressed  and  may  contain  confidential  and/or
priviledged  material. Any  review, retransmission,  dissemination or
other  use  of, or  taking  of any  action  in  reliance  upon, this
information  by persons or entities other than the intended recipient
is prohibited.

           Georgia Tech Library and Information Center
                  http://www.library.gatech.edu