[Dspace-general] more on tagging

Paul Kobulnicky pjkobulnicky at ysu.edu
Wed Jul 26 13:15:18 EDT 2006

With apologies to the list, i initially replied only to Rob. Here is
the text of my reply:

Think De.licio.us or flickr ... open vocabulary terms ... usually
single words.  Enabling users to see the tags is certainly an option.

Have you read "Ontology is Overrated"  http://www.shirky.com/writings/
ontology_overrated.html ?  I'm convinced that categorization and
classification has some value but that there is also value in user
defined classification.

  My general thought is a two stage project. The first is to enable
tags to be added to an item record's metadata by users and maybe keep
a count of each tag entered in a given record. The second and larger
set of  projects would be to make use of the tags beyond just having
them act as keywords in the metadata that are searchable. So, options
might include display of tags or use of tags and their frequency in
some sore of larger relevancy-based search retrieval rewrite.

I thought this was a worthwhile step, by the way, while I was on the
web, maybe The Guardian but some sort of commercial site, and there
was a new web design that allowed users to tag it. It made me think
that tagging was getting respectable.

So, we are just at the thinking stage right now Rob. The project is
open to be defined.

Paul Kobulnicky
Director, Maag Library
Youngstown State University
One University Plaza
Youngstown, OH   44555

(v) 330-941-3676
(f) 330-941-3734

"Prod any happy person and you will find a project."  Richard Layard