[Dspace-general] The DSpace User Group meeting at Open Repositories 2007

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 12 17:08:59 EDT 2006

To the DSpace community,

As you know, there will be a DSpace User Group meeting at the
beginning of the Open Repositories 2007 conference in San Antonio,
Texas on January 23-26, 2007.

http://openrepositories.org/

I am very pleased to announce that Tyler Walters, the Associate
Director for Technology & Resource Services at the Georgia
Institute of Technology's Library and Information Center has
agreed to serve as the program chair for the user group meeting.

In the coming weeks Tyler and I will be asking for volunteers to
join him on that program committee, and a call for proposals for
presentations at the meeting. We'll need around ten people for
the program committee and hopefully not all from North America!
We would really like this to be an international meeting of the
community.

I'll also be asking for a few volunteers to help with meeting
logistics, but it should be straightforward -- all the local
arrangements, including the meeting venue and accommodations,
are being handled by the main conference organizers at Texas
A&M.

The last DSpace user group meeting to take place in North
America was at MIT in March of 2004, nearly three years ago
by the time of this one. Since then the DSpace community has
grown quite a lot, and the platform has come a long way.
The user group meetings in Cambridge, Sydney, and Bergen
were all enormously useful, informative and fun, so I hope we
can keep to that tradition and make this one just as memorable!

I hope to see you all in Texas,

MacKenzie Smith
Associate Director for Technology
MIT Libraries