[Dspace-general] Dublin Core Registry quesion: creator, contributor.author, etc.

Tansley, Robert robert.tansley at hp.com
Mon Jan 23 18:21:42 EST 2006

> So the question now is, when is 1.4 going to become available?  I just
> searched the tech archive and could not find an answer.  Any idea?

Hi Jose,

As you've probably noticed, DSpace doesn't really have a formally
specified release schedule now!  That's largely because the release
cycle depends on some unpredictable factors:

- How much time the committers have to put in patches, liaise with
contributors

- How many features we think we can get into the next release.  This is
a case of drawing a line in the sand somewhere -- there are always new
features we could include in the next release but each new feature added
pushes the release cycle further back.

- How long testing, bug fixing and documentation takes after a 'feature
freeze'

Right now, we're approaching a feature freeze; one last thing we (the
committers) are really hoping to get in is an improved and documented
add-on mechanism.  As soon as that's done we'll release an alpha. Once
things have stablised a bit we'll go beta, and once enough QA has been
done and documentation ready, we'll release the full version.  I'm
guessing the full release will be some time in March now, but that
depends on how much the community mucks in to help out with the testing,
bug reporting/fixing and so forth, so you can speed up the process by
getting involved in that!

 Robert TANSLEY / HP Labs / MIT Visiting Researcher
 http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Robert_Tansley/