[Dspace-general] log files

Scott Yeadon scott.yeadon at anu.edu.au
Sun Apr 9 20:32:19 EDT 2006

Hi Hong,

Are you looking for anything in particular? I can give you a real quick overview but not sure how much that will help.

The application log that you find in $DSPACE/log/dspace.log logs all the application activity. A normal entry would look like:
2006-04-10 10:19:35,146 INFO  org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet @ anonymous:session_id=4F10DBD78B55D1F008AD829EBEE26F44:view_item:handle=1030.58/2762
where:
2006-04-10 10:19:35,146 is the date/time of the event
INFO is the log level (which can be changed in $DSPACE/config/log4j.properties)
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet is the Java class which generated the event
anonymous is the current user id
session_id=4F10DBD78B55D1F008AD829EBEE26F44 is the browser session id
view_item is the event (so in this case an anonymous user was viewing an item with a handle of 1030.58/2762

Most entries are of this form so the log is fairly structured except when error conditions occur, then you'll usually see a Java stack traced logged.

While the dspace.log file is probably the only one you'll use often, there are a couple of others to be aware of:
$DSPACE/log/handle-server.log - logs handle server connections
$DSPACE/log/handle-plugin.log - log generated by the handle plugin. You'll probably never look at either of these unless you're having problems with the handle server
$DSPACE/handle contains a couple of handle logs as well, error.log and access.log
$TOMCAT/log/catalina.out - contains any Tomcat messages, again you probably won't look at this unless you're having trouble with the web server.

Hope that helps.

Scott.