[Dspace-general] Image Collections in DSpace?

Geneva Henry ghenry at rice.edu
Fri Sep 30 15:22:25 EDT 2005

We ended up starting with some rather "rich" collections that are image
intensive when we brought our DSpace up.  That wasn't my original intent
(was planning to first migrate some existing department level publication
databases into the system), but that's where the most urgent need was.  One
of the image collections was in an existing filemaker pro db.  We imported
it (3000 images) and now have restricted access to it because of copyright
issues.  Our public affairs office asked if they could start putting their
digital images of Rice into DSpace so they could start to be managed; they
haven't been organized/managed at all to date and there are thousands of
images.  We have a digital library project, Travelers in the Middle East
Archive (TIMEA) where we're imaging a lot of interesting things and are
using DSpace for archiving those assets, then using them in other
applications for teaching/learning. That group is now organizing and
submitting the images on their own. There are, of course, metadata issues
with these collections that we're continuing to work through.  But they're
there.  You can go to dspace.rice.edu to look at some of these.

                              regards,
                              geneva
  ^~^
 (o o)
/'`v`'\ who?
|'''''|
|\\'//|
  """
Geneva Henry
Executive Director, Digital Library Initiative
Rice University
Fondren Library -- MS-44
P.O. Box 1892
Houston, TX  77251-1892
(overnight delivery address: 6100 Main St., Houston, TX 77005)
voice:(713)348-2480 | ghenry at rice.edu