[Dspace-general] redirecting port 8080 to 80

Tim Donohue tdonohue at uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 13 10:39:55 EDT 2005

Hennie,

It sounds like it has to do with whatever you specified as your
"JkMount" in either your "jk.conf" (if you have a separate config file
for mod_jk) or your "httpd.conf" (if you just put the mod_jk
configurations in the HTTPD config file).

If you specified the "JkMount" to be as follows:
JkMount /* ajp13

Then, *all* of your virtual hosts on that machine will be forwarded from
Apache to your "ajp13" connector, which forwards them on to Tomcat.  So,
if you have the following virtual hosts in Apache:
http://my-server-name/dspace/
http://my-server-name/host2/
http://my-server-name/host3/

Then, they will *all* be forwarded to Tomcat!

If you only want the Apache "dspace" virtual host to be forwarded
through to Tomcat, then you need a JkMount similar to the following:
JkMount /dspace/* ajp13
(this means that only URLs matching http://my-server-name/dspace/* will
be forwarded to Tomcat).

Does this make sense?
Tim

Hennie Rautenbach wrote:

> Tim Donohue wrote:
>
>> Here at UIUC, we have DSpace 1.3.1 running on Tomcat with Apache, on
>> a RedHat box (RHEL 3.2).
>> We have Apache 2.0.46 redirecting to Tomcat 5.5.9 for all DSpace
>> requests using the "mod_jk" Connector (available at
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_tomcat.html).
>>
>> Here's the basic steps:
>

> <snip>
>
> Thanks very much for these instructions. I managed to get most of it
> right. I have one problem which I hope is small :-)
>
> When restarting apache & dspace all the existing virtual hosts (part o
> the existing apache config) get the jacarta tomcat page and no longer
> their own configured html pages...
>
> Any idea what I have done wrong ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Hennie

> This transmission is for the intended addressee only and is confidential
> information. If you have received this transmission in error, please
> delete it and notify the sender. The contents of this e-mail are the
> opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by Sabinet Online
> Limited unless expressly stated otherwise.

Timothy G. Donohue
Research Programmer, Illinois Digital Environment for
Access to Learning and Scholarship (IDEALS)
52 Grainger Engineering Library

email: tdonohue at uiuc.edu
phone: (217) 244-7809
fax:   (217) 244-7764