[Dspace-general] New METS SIP Profile

Scott Yeadon scott.yeadon at anu.edu.au
Mon Nov 7 23:32:12 EST 2005

Hi Robert,

dmdSec - what is the DSpace Dublin Core Metadata Application Profile
(where's the schema)? NOTE: in the profile metsiprule05 states that "at
least one descriptive metadata record for the DSpace Item that conforms
to the DSpace MODS Application Profile..." so one of these statements
may be out of sync? I got an error page when I tried to access the MODS
pdf link in the profile.

Is this a necessary restriction given that in an unpcoming version
DSpace will be able to support several multiple metadata schemas? If the
metadata is indicated by schema, is it necessary to have a restriction
on schema in this instance? If so would it be better to support a range
of which one must be present (DC I guess being the most obvious default)?

file - CHECKSUMTYPE should be mandatory in cases where CHECKSUM is used

Are there any thoughts on exchange of more complex objects such as
entire communities, selected collections, items somehow related (e.g.
comprise a learning object)? Currently these aren't included but will
probably need to be supported in some form in the future (probably
moreso in the DIP I guess).

Scott.