[Dspace-general] creating web presentations using dspace content

Larry Stone lcs at MIT.EDU
Wed May 4 16:43:13 EDT 2005

> I am currently designing a replacement that will get the
> images out of DSpace instead of directly off a web server.
> It doesn't look to me like there is a straightforward and
> natural place in DSpace to encode the necessary structural
> metadata.  My current plan is to generate a DIDL description
> of the structure and ingest that as a bitstream, then pass
> that bitstream to the image viewer.

Is this a case where getting a "package" (a Dissemination Information
Package, or DIP, from the OAIS model) out of DSpace would be helpful?
See the pluggable packager proposal http://wiki.dspace.org/PackagerPlugins
on the wiki for details.

Sorry there isn't anything immediately available, but I'm curious
if it would be helpful here.  If the images are ingested into an
Item with the DIDL metadata (acting as a package manifest) in a
particular place, e.g. a named bitstream, then the package exporter
would know where to find it and could generate an appropriate
package for the  viewer application.

Is the item likely to be small enough that packaging wouldn't insert
too long a delay, or would you need to package fragments of the item?

    -- Larry