[Dspace-general] Depositor requests for open-ended or ambiguous access restrictions?

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 24 15:28:39 EST 2005

Hi Jim,

Sorry this is so late.

We get asked all the time to accept collections which require access
restrictions.
By policy we accept only collections that can be made available in *some
format* to *at least the MIT community*,
so, for example, we would take a collection of images which were off-limits
as long as there were thumbnails
available to the MIT community, or a collection of off-limit PDF documents
as long as there were unprintable
versions made available to all of MIT. Of course, the vast majority of
collections are deposited as world-readable,
but we don't require it.

We don't really have a way in DSpace of dealing with blackout periods (e.g.
your "until I notify you" example).
Right now, you have to keep track of that off-line and change the access
permissions in DSpace when the
conditions are met. It has come up, especially with regard to thesis holds
for patents or other legal restraints.
I wish there were a nicer way of dealing with that, but it wasn't our top
priority to figure out here.

MacKenzie