[Dspace-general] metadata questions

Gerson Galang gerson.sapac at gawab.com
Mon Feb 7 00:24:15 EST 2005

Hi Jim,

Jim Downing wrote:
> Hi Gerson,
>
> On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 09:29 +1030, Gerson Galang wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Does DSpace provide a functionality of automatically uploading files
>>into its repository? If it does not, has anybody on this list already
>>written an application which integrates with DSpace and implement this
>>functionality?
>

> I've written a importer that grabs XHTML files from the web, extracts
> the dc namespaces elements and uses the metadata from them. I know Scott
> Yeadon's written a web GUI to the bulk importer, and I'd imagine there
> are a few more similar initiatives. Best to ask on dspace-tech (copied
> here).
>
> What exactly were you hoping to automate?

What we are planning to automate is the uploading of data files that
researchers here in South Australia have generated. These data files
might just be sitting in researchers desktop machine (or somewhere else)
and it would be good if they can just automate the upload of these files
by inputting the location of these files from the command line or the
web interface instead of uploading the files one by one from the web
browser.

>>Are there any plans for DSpace to support other metadata schemas? Has
>>anybody written a Java API for DSpace which we can use if ever we decide
>>to write an application which will communicate with the server?
>

> DSpace has a Java API that can be used locally, where 'locally' in this
> context means that you can get a direct connection to the db and access
> to the storage filesystem (which could be achieved through NFS as far as
> I know). Are you specifically referring to a remote API?

At the moment, we are only looking at doing all of these things locally
but it will help us a lot in making a decision of using dspace if there
are plans of providing a web interface for it. Are there any timeline on
when this functionality will be available for DSpace? Is DSpace also
going to have an SRW query interface in the future? If not, what query
interface are you planning to provide?