[Dspace-general] Re: [Dspace-tech] Google Scholar and OAI

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 3 18:52:09 EST 2005

Hi Andy,

>More importantly, I think that any agreements that you (the DSpace
>community) reach with Google need to scale not just to all DSpace users,
>but to those who choose to offer their repositories using other software
>(like eprints.org) and even to those who choose to base their repositories
>on more mainstream technologies like content management systems.

Well yes, I was kind of assuming that the solution to this would need to
scale beyond the universe of DSpace repositories :)

>1) Embed a <link rel="oaipmh" ...> tag into the <head> section of the
>repository home page, linking to the BASEURL of the OAI server for that
>repository (note, there is no requirement that the BASEURL is on the same
>Web server as the repository itself - this is a completely open linking
>mechanism).  E.g.
>
><link rel="oaipmh" type="application/xml"  title="OAI BASEURL"
>href="http://etheses.nottingham.ac.uk/perl/oai2" />

Did you see Nick Lothian's variant of this?  <link rel="Index" title="OAI
Base URL" href="url/to/oaibase">
think we could get away with using the "index" relationship? gets around
need for an OAI-specific thing...

>2) Embed a <link rel="meta" ...> tag into the <head> section of each
>eprint's 'jump-off' page (sorry, my terminology is probably wrong in the
>context of DSpace here), linking to an OAI GetRecord request for the
>metadata about the current eprint.  E.g.
>
><link rel="meta" type="application/xml" title="OAI/DC Metadata"
>href="http://etheses.nottingham.ac.uk/perl/oai2?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=oai_dc&identifier=oai%3Aetheses.nottingham.ac.uk.OAI2%3A1"
>/>

This sounds ok but isn't what Google wants to do. I don't see any advantage
to implementing this until we need it for some reason do you?

MacKenzie