[Dspace-general] Subversion mirrored into DSpace?

Tansley, Robert robert.tansley at hp.com
Fri Aug 19 10:44:54 EDT 2005

Hello Sergio,

I'm not quite sure I understand what the need is you're getting at.

If you mean using DSpace to archive snapshots of a versioning repository
like CVS or Subversion, then that's an interesting use case -- it's
vaguely similar to other use cases such as CWSpace, where snapshots of
content from a course management system are archived in DSpace.

DSpace was originally intended as an archival/reference information
system, as opposed to an active collaboration tool, hence thus far we've
skirted the issue of fine-grained versioning.  The idea of using
something like CVS or subversion as the underlying storage for DSpace
has been floated but not explored, because it is not really in line with
what most people want out of DSpace.

However this is open source -- you're free to try out anything!  Just
understand that if something you do is not in line with the overall
direction of DSpace, it may not be included in the main system.

Rob