[Dspace-general] Time and cost per item in a repository

Christy R Crowley ccrowley at unm.edu
Tue Apr 26 15:19:14 EDT 2005

Basically, this article says it takes about 10 minutes to
put archive a paper with metadata.

Carr, L. and Harnad, S. (2005) Keystroke Economy: A
     Study of the Time and Effort Involved in
Self-Archiving.
     http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/10688/
     ABSTRACT: A common objection to self-archiving is
that it is an
     extra task that puts an unnecessary burden on each
researcher. In
     particular, the need to enter the extra bibliographic
metadata
     demanded by repositories for accurate searching and
identification
     is presumed to be a particularly onerous task. This
paper describes a
     preliminary study on two months of submissions for a
mature repository
     and concludes that the amount of time spent entering
metadata would
     be as little as 40 minutes per year for a highly
active researcher.