[Dspace-general] Questions about DSpace

Mary Jo Venetis mjvenetis at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 25 19:18:34 EDT 2005

I am writing to inquire whether you, as an institution who uses DSpace for
your institutional repository, would be interested in answering some of my
questions for a research assignment.   I am currently a doctoral student at
University of North Texas; I am also a manager of Acquisitions and
Interlibrary Loan at Dallas Public Library.   My research assignment is to
analyze DSpace, and its effectiveness as an open source software program for
institutions who use DSpace as an institutional repository.

If it is not an imposition on your time, would you mind answering some of my
questions regarding DSpace?   Please reply privately to me and my email
address is listed in the signature line.

1.  Since the launch of the DSpace in November 2002, how successful is the
project as a digital institutional repository overall, not just for MIT
Libraries but for other institutions?

2.  According to the DSpace Instances website, there are 79 institutions
using DSpace.  Is this an accurate figure?   What were MIT/HP's expectations
of the number of institutions using DSpace when the project was launched?

3.  What is the general consenus on the perception of DSpace from the
community at large?

4.  After reading several articles and some threaded postings, it is my
understanding that the Google Scholar has resulted in the cancellation of
the project between DSpace and Google.   What are your thoughts on this
subject?

5.  Could you describe any upcoming projects in relation to DSpace?

6.  As you look back, has DSpace met the developer's original expectations?
How will DSpace evolve in the next five years?

This is a question for MIT and Hewlett Packard:

As the colloboration between Hewlett Packard and MIT Libraries is
approaching its fifth year, will the partnership continue beyond the
five-year project?   What are the upcoming goals for the continuing
partnership, if any?

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Mary Jo Venetis
UNT Doctoral Student
Dallas Public Library
mjvenetis at sbcglobal.net