[Dspace-general] Best practice - serials and periodicals?

David Goodman David.Goodman at liu.edu
Sat Oct 16 14:02:57 EDT 2004

Also,
remember to allow for
letters to the editor
editorials
announcements
news items
publisher-provided indexes
supplements
oversize maps (in print, they're fold-out) or put in a pocket
special charts, (like the human genome ones that are published periodically)
special issues
special parts of issues,  like columns
non-recurring special parts of issues
proceedings of conferences published as an issue instead of separately
proceedings of conferences published as an issue as well as separately
book reviews
advertisements (which remain of critical historical importance; most libraries now keep the one that are in print issues they get instead of discarding those pages,)
duplicate abstracts in different languages (e.g. French & English for Canadian publications
and any good serials librarian (which is not my specialty) could think of a few dozen more.

Some of these may eventually not have electronic equivalents, but some may.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor,
Long Island University, Brookville, NY
dgoodman at liu.edu