[Dspace-general] Best practice - serials and periodicals?

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 14 16:16:30 EDT 2004

Hi Gaelle,

I second what Scott Yeadon said, and would add that with the introduction
of sub-communities in DSpace 1.2 you  *could* think about representing a
journal in this way:

--Top-level community = journal title
----Second-level community = volume
------Collection = issue
--------Items = articles
----------Bitstream = article component/version

Appropriate metadata can then be assigned to each level, and you have the
granularity at the article level which is so important.
If these are normal journals then you'll have to deal with frontmatter like
the TOC and editorial board. The TOC can be represented
at the Collection/issue level (and replicated as an item if you like, for
authenticity), and the board should probably also be an item
of its own (or all the frontmatter together).

I think someone in Brazil (Beatriz Langiano perhaps?) tried this in a
pre-1.2 version of DSpace, so perhaps she can speak up
on how it worked out.

Best,

MacKenzie