[Dspace-general]

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Thu May 13 18:31:59 EDT 2004

Although we are not a DSpace site, we have the same issue with batch
uploading. If your data isn't already in a database, what do you do? To
try to address that, we created a way that someone could fill out an
Excel spreadsheet according to certain specifications, then we wrote a
Perl program to parse that into the XML format we required. That at
least allows someone with no technical background to be able to use
batch uploading. They send us the spreadsheet, we parse it, send them
back the file, and they upload it. The problem is that this process
still impacts our staff, so we haven't pushed it very hard. But this
may at least be a method to consider if the alternative is filling in
multiple successive web forms, which will almost certainly take longer.
Roy Tennant
California Digital Library