[Dspace-general] Call for participation in Google pilot project

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 15 22:23:06 EST 2004

Call for participation in a pilot project with Google, DSpace, and OCLC:

At the DSpace user group meeting at MIT last week, a representative of
Google gave a presentation on how they would like work with the DSpace user
community to improve access to our content, possibly creating a new
searches to particular domains or servers. Perhaps something like a
"dspace:" filter to limit searches to scholarly content from our
institutional repositories.

The mechanism we discussed at the meeting isn't fully defined, but we will
start by working with OCLC to develop a new registry-type service of
collections for Google to harvest. OCLC will use the OAI protocol for
metadata harvesting to collect eligible metadata records from participating
institutions, resolve the DSpace Handles (or other persistent IDs) to the
standard form of URLs that Google prefers, and Google can then use the URLs
in OCLC's registry to index the relevant content from participating
institutions.

To express an interest in participating in the pilot project, please send
me email this week and we'll take it from there.

Thanks,

MacKenzie/

MacKenzie Smith
Associate Director for Technology