[Dspace-general] metadata: source and creator

David Goodman David.Goodman at liu.edu
Tue Jun 22 15:03:26 EDT 2004

(note:all the below is not strictly relevant to the actual question.)

Alfred, as you say, there are many studies where it has been used for such purposes, and I am not sure any of them are valid.

There are many possible meanings to "principal author."
Usually it means
a/ the person whose project it "is", in the sense of the work
  done for a thesis,
But the term can mean:
b/ The person who conceived the project,
c/ the person who did most of the work,
d/ the person who did most of the writing,
e/ the person whose grant paid for the work,
f/ the person responsible for this project in a large laboratory
  doing many projects
g1/ the person with the highest rank (which is usually the same as
g2/ the person with authority over the others,
g3/ or the director of the laboratory.

In most cases, the principal author (in whatever sense) places his name first.
In the traditional master-and-students organization, tradionally the principal author in sense g/places his name first, followed by the one in sense  a/,
 but now often the principal author in sense a/ is first and the one in sense g/ goes last.

The practices here vary from subject to subject and from group to group. James Watson, for example, usually did not put his name on his students' papers at all. Everyone understood he was a joint author of anything in moleculat biology coming from "the Biological laboratory at Harvard." -- see his book Genes, girls, and Gamow : after the double helix / James Watson,  2002.
Usually the principal author -- in whatever sense -- is indicated as the one "to whom correspondance should be addressed" in the conventional footnote to the list of authors.

This does not even consider the various practices with collaborative projects between different laboratory groups, or an ad hoc collaboration between two individuals. To resolve this, many multi-author projects list the names alphabeticaly (and generally say so).

In medicine, some journals now insist that there be a footnote listing specifically the roles of the different authors.
Some instruction to authors even specify that those playing only a technical role are not authors, and that every author who is listed has at least read the manuscript. There have been disputes--sometimes to the level of allegations of scientific misconduct and legal suits, about who is entitled to be listed, and where.

All this means, exactly as Alfred says, that in our case of self-indexing, each author group has the opportunity to do what it wants and may or may not designate someone if it pleases.  How it decides gets us back to all the considerations above.
How the relationships function belongs to the field of sociology of science; what the were in a given case, to the history of science.
The only thing I want to caution is that the use of such data for citation analysis is not clear-cut. If one is doing a large study and cannot analyze each case, it is equally valid to take all the authors as equal, or divide the responsibility unequally. If the number were small enough, I would look for the "author to whom correspondance should be addressed" indicator.

But we do not have to worry about all the above for our present purposes.
 Each group may, as usual, do what it chooses.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman at liu.edu

(and, formerly: Princeton University Library)