[Dspace-general] metadata: source and creator

Margret Branschofsky margretb at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 21 11:47:36 EDT 2004

DSpace uses the Contributor element instead of the Creator element because
this relieves the user of the burden of deciding who, of all the people
involved in the production of an item, is "primarily responsible" in the
creation of the item.  We added roles to contributor, thinking that was
more specific than the vague "creator" field.  So we have Contributor.
author, Contributor.editor, Contributor.illustrator...etc.  And if anyone
wants to leave it vague, they can use the unqualified Contributor field.

Our guide in this decision was the Libraries Application Profile (LAP) of
the Dublin Core, which was in an early draft stage at the time of DSpace
launching.  This draft conflated the Contributor and Creator elements into
one. When the DC Libraries Group published the present draft of the LAP
(officially called DC-Lib), the contributor and creator elements reappeared
as separate elements. However, there is a comment under both of these
elements that states "Creator and Contributor may be conflated if desired
by the application".

We left Creator in our schema only because we anticipated that we might in
the future harvest metadata that contains values in the Creator element,
and we wanted to be able to accept that information.

As time goes by we see that this decision is proving to be somewhat
inconvenient for metadata harvesters.

As for Source, at the time of DSpace launching the LAP (and also the DCMI)
were counseling people not to use Source because it had been mis-used by
some applications, in their opinion.    Since then I have seen its use
being recommended again, so it might be time for us to change that line in
our guidelines.  This would be fairly simple.  Changing Creator/Contributor
would be more complicated.

This is the historical explanation.  I'd love to hear more comments about
how to proceed in light of developments to date.

Margret Branschofsky
DSpace User Support Manager
Digital Library Research Group
Bldg. 14S-M24