[Dspace-general] Google Scholar inclusion of DSpace repositories

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 1 12:05:28 EST 2004

Thanks for the reminder about the Google "site:" limiter, Steve, that's
very handy.
And a colleague here reminded me that you can further limit the search to
your production
DSpace server (e.g. "site:dspace.mit.edu") if you want to see just results
from DSpace
and not the entire campus... helpful in figuring out how far behind they
are in harvesting
(answer: very).

MacKenzie

At 01:58 PM 12/1/2004 +1030, Steve Thomas wrote:
>MacKenzie Smith wrote:

>>It can be a little tricky to figure out if you're institution is getting
>>included or not
>
>Actually, you can simple incude "site:youruni.edu" as a search term to
>limit results to just your institution (or part thereof). Among other
>things, this usefully reveals something of the extent of self-archiving at
>your university.
>
>In our case, the result was interestingly low -- around 1330 items. (We
>don't yet have an IR.) No-one seems to know exactly what criteria Google
>are using for inclusion, but I suspect they are using citation as one of
>their major criteria -- after indexing known sites (such as PubMed) they
>are then spidering from citations so far included. This might explain
>their inclusion of multiple versions of the same article from different
>sites, and might be the basis of their "Cited by" counts.
>
>If anyone knows more, I'm all ears.
>
>Steve
>
>--
>
>Stephen Thomas,
>Senior Systems Analyst,
>University of Adelaide Library
>UNIVERSITY OF ADELAIDE SA 5005
>AUSTRALIA
>Phone: +61 8 830 35190  Fax: +61 8 830 34369
>Email: stephen.thomas at adelaide.edu.au
>
>CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
>This email message is intended only for the addressee(s)
>and contains information that may be confidential and/or
>copyright.  If you are not the intended recipient please
>notify the sender by reply email and immediately delete
>this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email
>by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly
>prohibited. No representation is made that this email or
>any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is
>recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.

MacKenzie Smith
Associate Director for Technology
MIT Libraries
Building E25-131d