[Dspace-general] RE: [Dspace-devel] Image Handling in DSpace

Stuve, David H david.stuve at hp.com
Tue Aug 31 20:53:15 EDT 2004

Hi Scott,

I've got some suggestions for you when implementing thumbnails in search
and browses.

For thumbnail size, I'd use the parameters in dspace.cfg for
thumbnail.maxwidth and
thubmnail.maxheight.  Those two parameters define the bounding box for
thumbnails in
the item view, and you may as well use them.  If you want thumbnails in
the browse to
be a different size (which makes sense,) I'd add parameters for
browse.thumbnail.maxwidth
and height, since I can easily see a site where they want big thumbnails
for item view and
smaller ones for the browse view.  I wouldn't bother generating two sets
of thubmnails, I
would just generate the item view images and rely on HTML and the web
browser to scale
them to the search/browse size.

Searching is very simple - eventually you get a page's worth of handles
and those get
instantiated into real items to fetch the titles, authors, dates, etc.
You only have
to add the code to fetch and display the item's thumbnails.

Browsing is a bit tougher - for speed the items are never instantiated.
You'll get a page
worth of item IDs/handles, and the browse text is fetched from a
database table.  The best way
to use the thumbnails the mediafilter generates is to then instantiate
those items and fetch
their thumbnail images for display.

Good luck, and let me know if you need any more advice!

Dave