[Dspace-general] Fwd: searching with diacritics

Ramon Ros rros at cbuc.es
Thu Apr 22 03:50:12 EDT 2004

Hi all

I work at the University Library Consortium of Catalonia (www.cbuc.es)
and we've been involved in a process of choosing an open software to
manage our digital library, now the finalists are: Dspace, CDSWARE and
Eprints. After a lot of discussion and testing we've chosen Dspace but
there's a final pitfall: the diacritics search

If an author's name has ben entered as "Rodríguez" and if the user
searches "Rodriguez", the result is none. We've been looking and testing
different Dspace installation and we see different responses but it
seems the software never acts like most library systems do (this is
ignoring all kind of diacritics when searching so
"Rodríguez"="Rodriguez"="rodrigüez"=...).

This is a serious drawback for most latin installations. Does anyone
know if Dspace takes care of this searching and its just a matter of the
installation? is it considered for a next release?

Thanks in advance.

PS: CDSWARE and Eprints work fine with diacritics

Ramon Ros i Gorné
rros at cbuc.es

Consorci de Biblioteques Universitàries de Catalunya (CBUC)
http://www.cbuc.es

Tel: 93 204 24 58 (93 205 64 64)
Fax: 93 205 69 79