[Dspace-general] RE: Version Control

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 8 17:35:53 EDT 2004

At 08:37 PM 4/5/2004 -0400, David Goodman wrote:
>The more difficult problem is where the author himself posts variant
>version without indication of which represents the final draft; I can even
>envision a situation where a multi-author team writes a paper, and
>the  different authors post different final versions, with possibly very
>substantial changes.

I think this is exactly the scenario we're talking about. Multiple authors,
each depositing a copy of their paper in their institutional repository
(and oblivious to each other, let's say, so without linkages between the
copies). If they're identical then the MD5 checksums assigned during
submission would help with subsequent duplicate detection, but the metadata
will vary widely so that might be the *only* clue that they're copies of
the same thing (and each copy will have it's own persistent ID, just as it
might have it's own call number in the print collection). As you suggest,
if they're "different versions of the same paper" then the library world
considers them different papers and so would rightly assign different
identifiers (but wouldn't necessarily know of the other versions to provide
the links).

This scenario is both possible and likely to occur, but I just can't get
excited about it as a big problem. Depositing multiple versions of papers
into institutional repositories isn't something we're seeing a whole lot of
(although faculty do want to know that they can). I'd advocate that we not
worry too much about this scenario yet.

MacKenzie/

MacKenzie Smith
Associate Director for Technology