[Dspace-general] Version Control

David Goodman David.Goodman at liu.edu
Mon Apr 5 20:37:08 EDT 2004

There are three problems, two of which can be solved. If the author posts a single version, and we are concerned only about keeping the copies on different repositories identical, this can be solved by technical means: checksums, watermarking, and so forth. These could be implemented on a periodic basis over the entire corpus, not just when something goes wrong. The second is where the author posts successive versions of the same paper. A rigorous system of ensuring that the latest version is displayed but the earlier kept accessible has already been devised and implemented for arXiv. If the better informed know of defects, I'd like to find out.

The more difficult problem is where the author himself posts variant version without indication of which represents the final draft; I can even envision a situation where a multi-author team writes a paper, and the  different authors post different final versions, with possibly very substantial changes.

I know the librarian's solution, which is to treat these as separate papers altogether, connected by a link, which is how we handle multiple editions of a work. The reader then has the responsibility of deciding which version to treat as authentic--the librarian can not help here,  but can just provide the different versions. An authenticating agency is necessary; an example of such an agency is the Patent Office, and its not one I would wish to emulate.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman at liu.edu

(and, formerly: Princeton University Library)