[Dspace-general] DSpace customisation

Scott Yeadon scott.yeadon at anu.edu.au
Sun Sep 21 19:11:21 EDT 2003

Hi,

We're looking at introducing DSpace to ANU (Australian National University),
and I have just read a paper date Jan 2003 in D-Lib magazine entitled DSpace
- An OpenSource Dynamic Digital Repository, located at
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/january03/smith/01smith.html. The section entitled
"The DSpace Federation" contains a paragraph as follows:

"In 2002, MIT formed collaborative partnerships with a small number of other
academic research institutions in the US, UK, and Canada, to address some
specific questions such as: what will it take to successfully deploy the
system at another institution? How much localization, how much customization,
and how much time and effort are needed?"

I was wondering what sort of feedback (if any) had been received on these
topics, especially where non-trivial modifications werer required such as
more complex authorisation and low-level code modifications were required,
and how these we done to avoid issues when upgrading to future versions.

Thanks.

Scott.