[Dspace-general] Theses in DSpace

Henk Ellermann ellermann at ubib.eur.nl
Tue Sep 16 15:47:06 EDT 2003

Hi Margret,

> I'm wondering if any other institutions are planning to use DSpace for
> theses. I know that the Theses Alive! project in the UK is doing this,
> and we at MIT are also planning an implementation.  I'm thinking that it
> would be very useful if we could all agree to use the same metadata
> standard to accommodate theses in DSpace.

We use DSpace as an Institutional Repository and have included a number
of dissertations. It will not be long before we will put all (well,
except the obvious few) dissertations of the Erasmus University in DSpace.

So far we have not given dissertations any special treatment in terms of
metadata. We do use aQDC field description.sponsorship for the names of
the promotores (is that an English word too?). We have adapted DSpace to
expert qualified dublin core too, so we can use this field for localized
services (web display) in the near future.

However, we sure would like it if there were some kind of (exportable)
metadataset, standardized across DSpace users, for dissertations. If you
can initiate something, we are willing to co-operate and spend some
quality time on it.

Regards,

Henk Ellermann

- Henk Ellermann
- Erasmus Electronic Publishing Initiative
- University Library, Erasmus University Rotterdam
- P.O. Box 1738, 3000 DR, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- ellermann at ubib.eur.nl
- weblog: http://eepi.ubib.eur.nl/iliit/index.html
- tel: +31 (0) 10 4081284/81208
- cell: +31 (0) 6 41 50 2002