[Dspace-general] Metadata Question

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 25 14:51:42 EDT 2003

Hi Rosa,

I would say the main reason for this is that DSpace is not limited to
being a learning object repository. In fact, here at MIT, and at most
of the other institutions using it now, none of the content is teaching
material so the LOM metadata would be completely inappropriate.
Dublin Core was an obvious choice because it handles a wide
range of content types, including documents (most of our current
content), images, multimedia material, datasets, etc. *and* learning
objects.

The LOM metadata specification is what I would call a "domain
specific" standard, much like MARC for library material, VRA Core
for visual images, or FGDC for geospatial datasets. There is a
research project here at MIT called SIMILE which is investigating
the use of new technologies to support these domain specific
schemas in DSpace (see http://web.mit.edu/simile/www/) but in
the meantime we had to select *one* schema, and it had to be
very all-purpose.

I hope this helps,

MacKenzie/