[Crib-list] SPEAKER: Kaley Virginia Brauer (MIT) "VIRTUAL"-- Friday, Oct. 1, 2021 -- 12:00 Noon - 1:00 PM

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Fri Oct 1 09:59:03 EDT 2021

 	A   R E M I N D E R . . .

 		    COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR
                                             (CRIBB)

ZOOM MEETING info:

 	https://mit.zoom.us/j/96155042770

 	Meeting ID: 961 5504 2770

DATE:	Friday, October 1, 2021

TIME:	12:00 Noon to 1:00 PM

TItLE:	Galactic Archaeology:
 	Investigating Galactic Evolution through Ancient Stars & Galaxies

SPEAKER:  KALEY VIRGINIA BRAUER (MIT)

ABSTRACT:

Just like traditional archaeologists who study the history of humanity through
ancient artifacts, galactic archaeologists study the history of our galaxy
through ancient stars and dwarf galaxies that still survive today. This talk
will briefly cover several galactic archaeology projects and describe how we are
able to use simulations to interpret observations of ancient stars and galaxies.

The motions and chemical composition of the stars currently present in the
extended outskirts (the stellar halo) of a galaxy preserve a record of the
galaxy’s formation history. While most of the stars in the center and disk of a
galaxy formed in situ, many of the stars in the stellar halo originated in the
many small galaxies that the central host galaxy accreted over billions of
years. Currently, though, we lack ways to identify which halo stars originated
in which dwarf galaxies or even reliably identify which stars were accreted. By
utilizing the Caterpillar simulation suite, a suite of 32 Milky Way-mass
galaxies forming, we find that stars with strong enrichment of certain chemical
elements (e.g., r-process elements) may have preferentially formed in the
smallest dwarf galaxies that merged into the Milky Way. We also quantify how
well astronomers can kinematically identify stars that accreted together from
these dwarf galaxies. Looking forward, we will expand on this work with several
more detailed simulations of dwarf galaxies and how r-process elements mix into
interstellar gas.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA  02139

For information about the CRIBB Seminar, please visit:

 	https://math.mit.edu/sites/crib/

Seminar will be virtual.  ZOOM Info is at the top of this page, on the attached
poster and on the CRIBB website:

===

Shirley A. Entzminger
Administrative Assistant II